What is STEM?
Toot Hill School is committed to providing opportunities, support and guidance to anyone with an interest in a future career is STEM related subjects.
These pages are here to provide information for anyone who is considering a STEM related career, who is already involved in a STEM activity or who just wants to find out a bit more about what STEM has to offer both within Toot Hill and beyond.
So what is STEM?
STEM stands for:
All these subjects have a lot in common and while we separate them on the school curriculum, they cannot be separated in the same way when it comes to the world of work, further study or careers guidance.
Therefore at Toot Hill we are committed to providing the opportunities and guidance required so that students who have an interest in STEM subjects are not just given the right advice, but have opportunities to enrich their education beyond the classroom and to enable them to stand out from the crowd when pursuing STEM pathways after they leave Toot Hill.
STEM initiatives and Opportunities
For details of all the STEM initiatives and opportunities see the other pages in the STEM menu of this website.
However for the latest news and events coming soon please see below:
Welcome to the #TootHillSTEM 4 Day #STEM Challenge! One challenge per day before we're all back on Thursday.
Remember, for students who send photos of their work or them completing the tasks can win a micro:bit coding computer!
Here are the details of all 4 tasks.
- Challenge 1 of 4 is to follow the link below to learn about the Bloodhound SSC land speed record car and the jet engine inside! There is a powerpoint, a quiz (go full screen) and a crossword to finish. Complete & photograph all 4 challenges to win a BBC micro:bit mini coding computer (first 10 to email pics to firstname.lastname@example.org will get a micro:bit) Here's the link for Friday 5th March: https://tinyurl.com/53fk27fn #BSW21 We look forward to seeing you putting you STEM skills to good use! Good luck!
- For task 2 of 4 of the #TootHillSTEM 4 day #BritishScienceWeek challenge, it's time to get hands on & build a spaghetti tower! If you don't have marshmallows you can use, blutak, play doh or even polystyrene! Don't forget to take pics! #STEM #BSW21 https://learning.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/SMG-Learning-Activities-Spaghetti-Structures.pdf
- #TootHillSTEM challenge 3 of 4 is an easy one today! Check out today's awesome #Letsgolive youtube stream at 11am from @maddiemoate and @gregfoot in association with @BritSciAssoc. Watch live, get involved in the comments and have a go at any activities you fancy. #BSW21 #STEM youtu.be/PYUn4G8SQdo
- The fourth & final British Science Week challenge is to check out the International Space Station. Check out the links to
1.) Explore inside the Internationa Space Station using Google Earth https://earth.google.com/web/data=CiQSIhIgN2Y3ZTA1ZTg2Y2E1MTFlNzk5YzI1YjJmNTFhNjA3NTI and
2.) Look up when the space station will pass overhead so you can see it with your own eyes! https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_Kingdom®ion=England&city=Nottingham#.YEiAEGj7Q2w
Don't forget to send photos or screenshots to email@example.com fo a chance to win a micro:bit. You don't need to have done all 4 tasks to be in with a chance so get in touch and show us what you've been up to!
Well done to everyone who has engaged with British Science Week so far!
Don't forget to email any pics of your work or you doing any activities to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win a micro:bit coding computer.
Good luck and have fun!
Check back soon for updates and the latest STEM news. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact Mr Walters at the school.
STEM Pathways News
- British Science Week: 4 Day STEM Challenge - Final Task!
The final STEM challenge to do before Thursday for a chance to win a micro:bit coding computer! (10/03/2021)
- British Science Week: 4 Day STEM Challenge - Tasks 2 & 3
The next 2 STEM challenges to do before Thursday for a chance to win a micro:bit coding computer! (09/03/2021)
- British Science Week: 4 Day STEM Challnege
Complete 4 STEM challenges before Thursday for a chance to win a micro:bit coding computer! (05/03/2021)
- Rolls Royce #LetFlyChallenge for at home during Lockdown
Prizes to be won for filming the flight of your paper aeroplanes. But be quick! Deadline 12/02/21 (08/02/2021)
- Toot Hill STEM: Lockdown update - Jan 2021
Just because we're not on site, doesn't mean there are no STEM opportunities! #STEM #STEMeducation (20/01/2021)