Welcome to the Science Department
For Science Self Isolation work, please choose 'Self Isolation Work' from the menu to the left.
“The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The study of Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity. At Toot Hill School we harness and develop the curiosity that students have about the world around them. We recognise that students bring with them a great deal of ‘folk science’; explanations of phenomena that look and feel right, but are intrinsically wrong. The Science curriculum is designed to develop a robust understanding of human-kind’s scientific progress and encourage students to recognise the power of rational explanation. The curriculum fosters a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena and develops a rigorous scientific literacy that will enable students to engage with and critically evaluate debates and discussions beyond school, particularly to stem the spread of unquestioned erroneous information and viewpoints.
Whilst our Science curriculum utilises the National Curriculum as its anchor, we also choose to teach our students:
• The scientific progress mankind has made via case studies of historical scientific events and figures to ensure students fully appreciate the chronology of discoveries and recognise the advances that could be made within their lifetime;
• The impact of technology on both the natural world and on humans to empower students to make informed choices;
• The role of Science in ensuring we live in a sustainable world for generations to come;
• About the universe and all the strange things we currently know it contains so that students can appreciate the vastness of the universe and the idea that there are still many unknowns for humankind to discover.
- 6th Jan 2021: Well done to ALL of our students- you have approach online lessons brilliantly. We are so proud of you all 🌟